Not to be confused with Bread and Butter Pudding.
My Grandma used to make these and I would raffle them at school.
This is pretty much her recipe;
- 500g stale/leftover bread
- 500g mixed dried fruit
- 85g mixed peel
- 1 ½ tbsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 600ml milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 140g sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 100g butter, melted
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- Tear the bread into a large mixing bowl and add the fruit, peel and spice. Pour in the milk, then stir or scrunch through your fingers to mix everything well and completely break up the bread. Add eggs, sugarand lemon zest. Stir well, then set aside for 15 mins to soak.
- Heat oven to 180C
- Butter and line the base of a 20cm non-stick square cake tin (not one with a loose base).
- Stir the melted butter into the pudding mixture, tip into the tin, then sprinkle demerara on top.
- Bake for 1½ hours until firm and brown. Cover with foil if it starts to darken too much.
- Cut into squares and serve warm.