Playing with Smoke part 2:
Outback Smoked Fish Cakes
Another use for liquid smoke. These are ROOOLLY Good
A real camping dish. Apart from the eggs, everything comes from a can or packet. This recipe uses canned sardines*because that is what I had, but any fish will do. It should make 6 – 8 fishcakes, but I got lazy. I made two slightly outsize and two very outsize.
- 2 cups instant mashed potato flakes
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 Tbsp. dried parsley
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp dried garlic flakes
- 1 Tbsp. dried onion flakes
- 1 tsp dried lemon zest or lemon myrtle
- A few grinds of salt & pepper
- 1 tin sardines in oil*
- 1 tin sardines in brine*
- 2 eggs
- A few squirts of Liquid Smoke
- Fine breadcrumbs for coating.
- Oil for frying
What to do:
- Mix the potato flakes, parsley, onion, garlic, lemon zest, curry powder, salt & pepper in a bowl
- Spray with smoke
- Add the boiling water and canned fish, including the liquid from the cans, and mix well.
- Cover and leave to stand in the refrigerator for at least half an hour
- Add the eggs and mix well again.
- Form into balls and roll in breadcrumbs to coat
- Flatten the balls to patties and fry in hot oil.