Slow-cooker Chicken, Cashew and Coconut Cream Curry
Really, really pleased with this one. It is very simple and can’t burn because it is done in a slow cooker. I would put this up against the best I have tried from Little India. No added water so the beautiful yellow gravy is nice and thick.
• 400g boneless chicken thighs, cut to bite size pieces
• 1 onion, quartered
• Enough garlic
• 1 cup unsalted cashews*
• 1 cup coconut cream
• 1 pod stock concentrate (chicken or vegetable)**
• Curry powder to taste
• ¼ tsp cinnamon
• 2 tsp turmeric
• 2 tsp garam masala
• Salt and pepper*to taste
• A squeeze of lime juice
• 2 or 3 curry leaves
• Optional: add a few chillies for a hotter curry
• A splash of sesame oil
• Peanut oil for browning the chicken
1. Brown batches of chicken pieces in hot oil and transfer to the slow cooker
2. Splash with a dash of sesame oil and a squeeze of lime juice
3. Sprinkle the spices except the garam masala over the meat
4. Toss in the curry leaves
5. Blend the the onion, cashews, garlic and coconut cream to a smooth paste and pour over the chicken pieces
6. Cook for about 4 hours on low, stirring occasionally
7. When the chicken pieces are well cooked, stir in the garam masala and cook another 10-20 minutes.
Serve with naan and rice
*If using salted cashews, try to sieve off excess salt and be cautious about adding more. It is easy to over salt.
** My new favourite form of stock is made by Continental and comes in pods of jelly concentrate each of which makes 500 mL stock in hot water, but which are also great just to toss into a recipe undiluted.