Now that I have discovered black rice, with its delicious flavour and nutty texture, I am working out new ways to enjoy it. Especially ways that use ingredients easily obtained and stored here in the back of beyond. That basically means dried foods, canned foods and frozen.
Here is a simple yet really delicious rice salad.
- 3 cups cooked black rice*
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 can salmon, drained and bones removed (unless you like the bones)
- 2 – 3 Tbsp of your favourite mayonnaise
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup frozen baby peas
- 1 stick chopped celery, (if available)
- 1 tsp mustard or peri-peri sauce
- 1 tsp paprika
- A few grinds of pepper
Mix ingredients, chill in the refrigerator for an hour or so, until the flavours blend and the peas thaw.
I am thinking that black beans, or chickpeas would go with this too. Also shrimps, or prawns.
* I cook rice in a rice cooker. It is reliable and simple. For black rice I put two cups of rice, four cups of water, a knob of butter and a teaspoon of salt in the cooker and turn it on. Black rice takes a little longer to cook and should be left on warm for five to ten minutes after the cooker clicks over.