The secret to light fluffy scones, when you are densifying them with cheese, is to add yoghurt. The acid reacts with the self raising flour much more effectively.
- 2½ cups self raising flour
- ½ cup grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese plus a bit extra.
- ½ cup diced sweet smoked ham
- ½ cup diced capsicum
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup Greek yoghurt
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- A pinch of cayenne
- Preheat oven to 180 C fan-bake
- Lightly grease a 12 pan muffin tray
- Put flour, cheese, ham, capsicum, cayenne and onion in the mixing bowl
- Beat in the milk, yoghurt, butter and egg.
- Spoon batter into muffin pans and sprinkle a little grated cheese on top
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Stand for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
(My measuring cups are 250ml)