From the Chef that brought you Kimberley Poutine, here is another example of a heart attack-inducing Comfort Food National Dish. This one originated in Punta del Este, Uruguay, but has reached perfection here in the Kimberley of Western Australia.
Friends, I give you the Chivito. As with all popular comfort foods, there are a million recipes for this. Here is one I came up with after watching a late night travel/food show, using what I had on hand. From previous experience with steak sandwiches I knew the steak must be a good one, or you will end up pulling it out of the sandwich when you try to bite through it. Fortunately I had a few excellent steaks in the freezer. However, at $39 a kilo I wont be having them often. I suppose one could substitute a nice thick homemade burger patty.
Despite the tender meat, it was still a messy sandwich to eat. But so good.
I should have taken a photo before I started messing it up.
- a hamburger bun or, where available, a ciabatta roll
- a good quality fillet steak brought to room temperature
- 2 rashers of crispy cooked bacon
- 2 thin(ish) slices of ham off the bone
- a slice or two of tomato
- 2 slices of swiss cheese
- 1 fried egg with the yolk still runny
- a handful of Mesclun salad or some lettuce
- Best Brand Mayonnaise
- Tomato sauce
- Dijon mustard
- a slice of capsicum
- a few chopped preserved jalapeño peppers
- a slice or two of raw onion
- some fried onion
- salt and pepper
- butter for the buns
- Worcestershire sauce
- Rub the steak with garlic, splash it with a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce , cover and allow it to marinate while it comes to room temperature
- Split the roll and butter both halves
- Fry the bacon, onion, steak and capsicum
- On the top half of the bread put mayonnaise then add, in order; the lettuce, raw onion, tomato, sauce, capsicum and jalapeño
- On the bottom half of the bun put the mustard, fried onion, bacon, egg, steak, ham and cheese
- Put the bottom half under the grill until the cheese is melted
- Whack on the top half and cut the bun in half
- Figure out how to eat it. Be warned, it will be messy.