I think this should go well with bush turkey. It should be good with pork too.
I am really getting into chutneys. They are so easy and there are so many possibilities to try. This one came about because a neighbour gave me some apples in return for some of my last chutney, and because I had some cranberries on hand.
- 10 average size apples, peeled and sliced (I precooked the apples with lemon juice and kept them in the fridge until I was ready to make the chutney – I made about 5 cups of stewed pulp).
- A good squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 cups raw sugar
- 130g dried cranberries (because that is how much was in the packet)
- 130g cranberry sauce (half a jar) – to boost the cranberry content
- 1 cup sultanas
- 2 medium onions, finely sliced
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp mace
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- A few cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 500ml apple cider vinegar (2 cups)
- Put all the ingredients into a large saucepan
- Bring to a boil slowly over a medium heat
- Reduce to low heat and simmer uncovered, stirring periodically for about 40 to 60 mins until it thickens
- Ladle into hot sterilised jars and seal.