A long cold day. I have sore knees and I need a good night’s sleep.
I have one bottle of French red that I thought might be nice to mull. I did not want to use the whole bottle as it should be drunk straight away, and if I had a whole bottle I would be drunk straight away!
Thus mulled wine for one:
- 1/2 bottle of red wine
- 100 mls apple juice (or orange – I only had apple)
- a squirt of lemon juice
- 2Tblsp brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest*
- 1/2 a cinnamon quill
- a good pinch of allspice
- a good pinch of nutmeg
- a few cloves
- Put all the ingredients except the wine into a pot and bring to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and leave to stand for ten minutes for the spice flavours to infuse
- Add the red wine and reheat until it is almost boiling, then turn off the heat and leave for a few more minutes
- Pour through a tea strainer into a glass or mug.
That is almost half a litre of mulled red wine. Should get some sleep tonight!
* Zest: Whenever I find a really nice unblemished orange or lemon, I carefully peel the zest and chop it finely. I then free-flow freeze it ready for use.