I used to be able to buy a very good brand of anchovy sauce, which added a special something to beef stews and is also really nice mixed into mayonnaise for use on steak, fish, salads, scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, or in egg and salad sandwiches.
I can’t seem to find it any more. So I thought I would try making some. I have no idea how the bottled stuff is made, but I figured a mayonnaise-type recipe would work. After all, I can just add a couple of anchovies to a stew.
- 2 100g jars of anchovies in olive oil, drained
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp dried parsley or coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 Tbsp mustard powder
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp capers, drained
- 400 ml extra virgin olive oil, plus the oil from the anchovy jars.
- Blend all the ingredients except the oil in a blender until smooth and creamy
- While the blender is running, slowly pour in the oil in a steady, thin stream as if making mayonnaise.
Store in a sterile airtight jar. It should keep for weeks in the refrigerator.