This is a delicious combination of flavours and textures. Serve it as a side salad on a lettuce leaf, put it between two slices of fresh soft bread for a tasty sandwich, or use it as a salsa on a hamburger, fish fillet, chicken breast, taco or tortilla. Goes well with a barbecue.
I first made this in Solomon Islands using raw snake bean as the main vegetable, and dark meat tuna. I have also used celery and tuna, but my favourite version is smoked oysters with capsicum.
Into a bowl place
- 1 tin smoked oysters including the oil. Smoked mussels are good too.
- 1 cup of capsicum chopped small. I use a few slices each of red, yellow and green peppers to get some colour.
- 2 spring onions chopped small
- 2 fresh ripe tomatoes chopped small
- 1 Tablespoon chilli sauce
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- a dash of Angostura Bitters
- salt and pepper
Mix well and cover with clingfilm. Refrigerate for an hour before serving.
I have tried with pleasing results the addition of fresh basil leaves, a little crumbled blue cheese, or olives and Feta cheese, or toasted pinenuts and garlic.