An excellent breakfast, brunch, entrée. Smaller ones make a great party snack.
Spicy Sweetcorn Fritters Indonesian Style
Ingredients ( four fritters: two people)
This recipe makes four fritters as shown.
The frying pan in the picture is 20cm in diameter.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 Tbsp bawang goreng* (optional)
- garlic crushed or thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed
- 1/4 tsp galangal
- 1 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves or parsley
- 1 tsp sambal oelek** or chilli paste
- 1/4 can creamed corn
- 1/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- pinch of salt
- a grind or two of black pepper
- 2 Tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp peanut oil
- peanut oil for frying
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Cover and leave to stand at least an hour. Overnight is good. The batter should spread in the pan just a little but not flow. If the batter is too stiff add a very little milk. If too runny add a little more flour.
- Fry fritters in peanut oil over a medium heat until golden brown and set.
- Serve hot or cold with a spicy chutney.
* Bawang goreng is spiced & sliced shallots fried in peanut oil. Usually an accompaniment to rice dishes, they add an interesting flavour and texture to dishes such as this. I buy mine in a packet.
** Sambal oelek is ground spiced chilli. You can buy it or make it thus:
In a blender combine
- half a cup of fresh red chillies
- a Tbsp of lime juice and zest of a lime
- two stalks of lemon grass (white part) or one teaspoon ground lemon grass
- 1 tsp of fresh ginger
- 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
Keeps well in the fridge or can be frozen by putting a teaspoonful in each section of an ice-cube tray.