I learned/adapted this in Fiji. I invited my colleague Chelsea to try it. I was competing with real experts, but she seemed to like it. But I don’t think she appreciated me singing as I cooked…
Aloo mutta, aloo farda
here I am at
For those of you too young to remember Alan Sherman, check it out on You Tube…
- 4 potatoes, cut into smallish cubes
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 Tblsp finely chopped ginger
- chopped green chilli to taste
- 1 tsp chilli powder or to taste
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 2 tsp ground coriander seed
- 2 Tblsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 1 tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
Make it thus:
- Partly cook the cubed potato in salted water: bring to the boil, simmer for no more than a minute or two, then strain and rinse in cold water. Put aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or pan over medium heat.
- Add cumin seed to the hot oil and before it burns add the onion and other ingredients except the garam masala, coriander leaves potato and peas.
- Saute until it is fragrant, then add the potato continuing to fry until the spices have blended and coloured and flavoured the spuds and the potato is almost cooked.
- Add the peas, salt if necessary, and garam masala. Stir through until the peas are heated through.
- serve sprinkled with chopped coriander leaves