Updating the previous orange cake version with a little experimentation.
Mandarin Almond Cake
- Take 6 seedless mandarins – cover with water and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove from the stove and leave to stand 24 hours.
- Discard the water.
- Place mandarins in a food processor and pulse until well pulverised.
- Add: 6 eggs and 2 tbls lemon juice and process 1 minute.
- Add: 3 cups ground almonds (almond meal) and 1 cup castor sugar and 1 tsp baking powder.
- Process to mix.
- place in a large (26cm) tin and sprinkle some slivered almonds on top (I do not have a 26cm tin so I used an eighteen and two tens).
- Bake at 160 degrees Centigrade for 50-60 minutes. (40-50 for smaller tin and 30 for the little ones – or until a skewer comes out clean).
- Cool 10 minutes and remove from tin.
- Remove cake from tin while still warm and using a pastry brush paint top with several coats of hot orange or lemon glaze (see below).
- Let the glaze set and the cake cool before refrigerating it in a container or covered with clingfilm.
Serve it with cream whipped with a little orange liqueur – Cointreau · Grand Marnier or with plain whipped cream or French Vanilla Ice cream.
If you do not eat all the cake within in one day, refrigerate it.
- 2 lemons or oranges, juiced
- lemon or orange zest
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- shard of cinnamon stick
Place ingredients in a saucepan. Boil until sugar dissolves. then simmer until reduced about 50%. Remove cinnamon.