Having looked over a bunch of on-line recipes, including these, I did what i usually do in the face of choice, and tried doing it my way. I was surprised to see in other recipes how long one has to cook the cabbage. I have a gas stove and it is easy to burn a pot if one is not paying careful attention. Not wanting to stand over a pot all day stirring, I decided to use a slow cooker.
Slow Cooked Red Cabbage
- 1 red cabbage, shredded
- 3 onions sliced thinly
- 4 apples peeled, cored and sliced
- a cup of shredded bacon, or bacon bits
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- a few good grinds of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon mace
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon garlic granules (or plenty of fresh garlic, chopped)
- tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Fry the onion and bacon in olive oil until the onion is translucent,
- Add the apple and fry a little longer
- Add all the other ingredients except the vinegars and stir well
- turn off the heat
- Put the shredded cabbage and the cooked ingredients into the slow cooker in layers and pour the vinegars over it.
- Turn the cooker on to high.
- Stir the contents periodically until it is cooked. (4-6 hrs)