As far as I know, these are an invention of my own. I first made them for a neighbour in Stokes Valley who was gluten allergic,
I like them. So do people to whom I have offered them. They are a good way to make a party snack from leftover rice.
- Three cups cooked rice
- two eggs
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder (or whole seed)
- a handful of coriander leaves, chopped (or parsley) (omitted from this batch because I have none)
- 1 teaspoon rendang mix
(a bought mix which includes ginger, galangal, turmeric lemon grass, garlic, shallot, chillies and other spices.)
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper or
- a finely chopped chilli, or
- chilli powder to taste.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder
- 3 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried garlic
mix ingredients, leave to stand at least 30 minutes, roll into balls and deep fry in peanut oil
There could be a hundred variations to these. Just play with different spices. I like them best with a sweet chilli dipping sauce.