At last I have tried out the mincer and sausage maker attachment for the Kenwood.
The first use of the mincer was to make a haggisburger from heart, offal, oatmeal and spices. Not a success. Less said the better. I conclude that haggis must be steamed, and only steamed.
The second use was to make a duckburger. I had some duck breasts that were not particularly tender when baked. They made an excellent burger. that was a success. Now I turn to sausages.
Instead of describing fully how I made my sausages, I shall refer you first to this page at Honest Food Net.
Good advice. It is particularly important to be scrupulously hygienic when making sausages. Need I remind you that the word botulism is derived from botulus the Latin word for sausage..
So follow the instructions. here is the list of ingredients I used
A two kilogram boneless shoulder roast of pork, cut into pieces. I removed the skin and fat, and minced it separately through a small screen then added it back along with
- a cup of breadcrumbs and a half cup of oatmeal soaked with 1/2 cup sherry and 1/4 cup Stones Green Ginger Wine
- two tablespoons horseradish sauce
- Angostura bitters
- Worcestershire sauce
- lemon zest
- garlic granules
- dried onion flakes
- smoked paprika
- a tablespoon or so of dried chopped chives
- a teaspoon of sugar
- ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup pistachios and 1/4 cup dried apple blended to a fine consistency
- a teaspoon of mace (yep, I finally found some – on the internet).
- mixed herbs
Stir it all up in a bowl and leave in the fridge to marinate for a few hours
Mince it and stuff into sausage skins as described here.
Tomorrow I shall smoke them using the smoker on my BBQ.
UPDATE 0830 next morning: I have added a couple of forgotten ingredients to the list above. No measurements if I did not measure…
I just had a couple for breakfast. Excellent flavour, in fact far better than I had expected. Like a fine chorizo with a hint of je ne sais quois. But the texture is a little dry and crumbly. Next time I shall substitute grated carrot for crumbs. I had thought the apple would provide some juiciness. Also maybe I did not have enough fat. Nonetheless I am really pleased with what I produced. Much better than a first effort might have been.
Today I shall smoke them on the barbie.
Damn! Don’t get distracted! I carbonised half of them and completely dried out the rest. Back to the grinder…