Lemon Apology Loaf
Not original. Borrowed from here…http://tvnz.co.nz/good-morning/lemon-madeira-loaf-4849021
Renamed because of the reason for baking it…
(CHANGES I MADE IN CAPITALS):
1 1/4 cups caster sugar
zest and juice of 3 lemons (ONE CUP LEMON JUICE WITH ZEST OF THREE LEMONS AND AN ORANGE)
1 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder (1 ROUNDED HEAPED TSP)
1 cup ground almonds (180g WHOLE ALMONDS ZAPPED IN THE FOODPROCESSOR) (next time I will try Macadamias!)
2: Lemon Glaze
2 lemons, juiced (2/3 CUP LEMON JUICE WITH ZEST of 2 LEMONS)
1 cup caster sugar (ORDINARY WHITE SUGAR)
1 cup water (1/2 CUP WATER)
1. Preheat oven to 170C. Grease two 22cm × 11cm loaf tins and line with baking paper.
2. Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, making sure each egg is well combined before adding the next.
3. Add lemon zest and juice and mix to combine.
4. Sift flour and baking powder together and fold through egg mixture with the ground almonds. Do not over-mix.
5. Spoon mixture into loaf tins, filling to 1cm below the rim. Place in the centre of the oven and bake for 55 minutes, turning after 25 minutes. Loaves are ready when the tops bounce back when lightly touched.
6. Place ingredients in a saucepan. Boil until sugar dissolves. (KEEP BOILING UNTIL VOLUME REDUCED ABOUT 50%).
7. Remove loaves from tins while still hot and using a pastry brush paint tops with hot lemon glaze. (SEVERAL COATS)