|Gnocchi di patate
- 1Kg yellow-fleshed mashing potatoes
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- SCRUB the potatoes and place them, unpeeled, on a vegetable rack set over – but not in – a large pot of boiling water. Steam until tender all the way through but not falling apart (a kitchen knife passes all the way through with some resistance).
- Do NOT overcook. or they will absorb too much water and flour
When the potatoes are tender enough to push through a sieve or vegetable mill, remove them from the rack and while they’re still hot, peel them and pass them through the sieve or vegetable mill into a large bowl.
- Do not use a food processor for this; it will turn them to glue
- ADD salt and flour to the potatoes, working in the flour with a wooden spoon.
- Knead the dough gently for about 5 minutes on a lightly floured board or wooden work surface.
- Be careful not to overwork the dough – it should be soft and supple.
- DIVIDE the dough into 5 or 8 equal pieces.
- ROLL each piece into a rope about 2cm in diameter and 25 to 30cm Cut each snake into regular pieces about 3/4 inch long.
- Roll each gnocco into an oval, and pattern it by rolling over the large holes of a cheese grater or along the tines of a fork
- BRING a large pot of lightly salted water to a rolling boil and drop in the gnocchi in batches
- BOIL the gnocchi until they rise to the top
- Remove them with a slotted skimmer and transfer them to a heated platter or bowl.
- Dress with olive oil, parmesan and basil leaves, or, tomato and basil sauce, or with melted butter, sage and Parmesan,
- Serve immediately.