Besan batter is used as a light coat on deep fried tapioca, and battered vegetables, or fish and is very good for Prawn Pakova
- 1 cup besan (chickpea or gram flour)
- ½ cup flour (wanted to use rice flour but I couldn’t find any)
- ½ tsp salt
- pinch of baking soda
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp tumeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp whole cumin seeds (optional)
- 1tblsp of vanasparti (could use ghee, or melted butter, or even oil)
Whisk together with approx 1-2 cups cold water – sufficient to make a creamy batter.
Batter should be thin enough to pour.
If using for prawn pakova, make a bit thicker to allow for dilution by the marinade.
Marinate prawns for at least 2 hrs in a mixture of:
- ginger paste
- garlic paste
- several dashes of lime juice
- garam masala
- chilli powder
Mix well with besan batter and fry a spoonful or two at a time in hot oil. .
Besan batter, if spilt and left on the bench, is damnably difficult to remove and clean up. Don’t let it set. I do believe it would make an excellent substitute ablative layer on the space shuttle.