Time for another self indulgent meal.
Green prawns were on special at Woollies. I usually buy frozen cooked prawns, but these looked good and were really cheap.
Precooked prawns need only to be heated through. I was not sure if green prawns would cook properly so I tossed them in early while the cream was still reducing, They cooked quite quickly as it happens.
- 50g butter
- 6 cloves garlic, finely minced with a pinch of salt
- 1 small bunch parsley chopped
- Pinch of Italian herbs
- 300mls thickened or whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- black pepper
- 1 packet fettuccine cooked al dente in salted water (get the water boiling and throw in the pasta just as the sauce is thickening at step 4) and drained.
- four tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 250g prawns (precooked peeled) thawed and drained (Version 2: green prawns marinated in garlic and a few dashes of fish sauce – omit adding any salt later)
- Melt butter in a heavy pan over medium-low heat and lightly sautee the garlic and parsley.
- Add the lemon juice and stir in cream. Bring back to a simmer, reduce heat and let sauce reduce by 10%
- Add the prawns, reheat cream sauce until it just bubbles.
- Add three tablespoons cheese and stir until sauce thickens. (Version 2- If not quite enough Parmesan – supplement with a bit of Colby-still good)
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix through the pasta and serve with the rest of the Parmesan sprinkled on top.