The basil growing in a tyre in my garden is bolting to seed now. But I have enough to make pesto.
I have some pine nuts and I have just got some Romano from Woollies.
- 2 cups packed with fresh basil
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 70g pine nuts lightly toasted in a dry pan on medium heat. Do not burn them.
- garlic cloves, minced or chopped fine
- 1/8 teaspoon rock salt
- a grind or three of black pepper
- Pulse the basil and white wine vinegar in the blender
- add garlic and pulse
- add pine nuts and pulse
- add the oil and the rest of the ingredients and pulse a bit more
Should get almost a 300g jarful out of that. If I can keep my fingers out of it.