Lemon Lime Aioli
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (have more on hand to add if you want)
- ½ tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon/lime zest (I still have the little bottles of essential oils Glenn gave me and use them very sparingly if I don’t have zest on hand – sparingly is the key word. They are potent. Should last me years! But I digress).
- 2 teaspoon cold water
- 1 teaspoon mustard (Dijon)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- a shake or two of white pepper
- 1 cup virgin cold pressed olive oil
- Lots of garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- Blend the garlic, water and lime juice and zest to a smooth paste.
- Remove from the blender.
- Without cleaning the blender, add one egg and one egg yolk to the blender. Put the other egg white aside.
- Process 30-45 seconds and with the machine still running, add the lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper, then very slowly pour in the olive oil a drip at a time at first and increasing slightly until the mixture is the consistency of mayonnaise .
- Add the garlic mixture and blend it in.
- Taste and add more lemon or lime juice, mustard, or salt as necessary.
It keeps for weeks in a sealed jar.