Possibly the best I have ever made, it would have been an outstanding filling for the S&K Pudding.
This recipe makes a good 6 servings.
Steak and Kidney:
- 800g Chuck steak; cut into large pieces
- 8 Lamb kidneys; split, de-tubed and quartered (you can use ox kidney).
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 tablespoon rich gravy powder
- 1 beef OXO cube
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- dash of Worcestershire sauce
- dash of bitters
- teaspoon of horseradish mustard
- teaspoon crushed garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- a squirt (about a tablespoon) low salt vegetable stock concentrate
- a double squirt of tomato paste
- 1 can of peas including the liquid
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced
- 3 medium waxy potatoes, peeled and quartered.
- a stubby of beer.
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 1 rasher of bacon
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
Dredge the the meat in the flour, and then brown in smoking hot fat/oil
Toss them into the slow cooker with all the other ingredients except the beer.
Brown the kidneys and toss them in too. Put any remaining flour in as well.
Deglaze the frying pan with half a bottle of beer, and pour it into the slow cooker.
Top up the slow cooker so that all the solid ingredients are just covered with beer. Add water only if necessary.